Up until a few months ago I stored all of my fabric in large plastic bins. There were two main problems with this method: 1) I couldn't remember what fabric I had since I couldn't see it and 2) I sewed less from my stash because it was too daunting a task sometimes to even think about digging through multiple bins to find the fabric I had (that is, if I even remembered it). So, I came up with a solution.
Now you see it.
Now you don't.
We dedicated one of the bookcases in our hallway into fabric storage. Since this is the main hallway in our apartment, I wanted to cover it to keep it presentable when guests come over (there is a reason I'm only showing you that first shelf...it's the only one that is neatly folded!) and also to keep out dust and cat hair. I bought about five feet of velcro and applied it all around the front of the bookcase and onto some fabric that I measured out to the size of the bookcase. It's worked out great! I now know what fabrics I have and I've been sewing from my stash a lot more than I used to.
I know when I have too much fabric when the curtain starts to bulge (and that's pretty often)!