Friday, March 21, 2008

Book review Friday - The Knitting Circle

I've had the idea to do a weekly book review on this blog for a while. Between the amount of fiction I read and the craft books I've accumulated, I think I have enough material to last for quite a while. Plus, I'm hoping by revisiting some of the craft books I have, I'll get a little more motivated to actually make something from them instead of just drooling over them. Hey, maybe you will too!


So without further ado, today's book review is the novel, "The Knitting Circle" by Ann Hood. I picked this book up right before my trip to Puerto Rico. I had just finished my second knitting class earlier in the week and had knitting on the brain. However, you do not have to know anything about knitting to enjoy this novel. The story is about a woman who has recently lost her daughter and is struggling through the grief. Knitting helps her heal. We meet several people in this book and learn about how knitting has helped each of them get through troubled times. At times the book can be a bit melodramatic. Everyone who knits has some sort of troubled history in this book, and this is obviously not true in real life. But, overall I really enjoyed this read. I looked forward to moments when I could pick it up again to find out what happened next. It was a quick and easy read that tugged at my heartstrings (yes, I cried a few times). What I enjoyed most about the book was the author's love and appreciation of the craft of knitting. I think a crafter of any medium will appreciate this.

Verdict: Put this book at the top of your spring/summer reading list.

What are you reading these days?

3 comments:

  1. I'll have to check that book out! How's your knitting going?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just finished reading Splitting Harriet by Tamara Leigh. It's a very "lite" novel, and I enjoyed it very much. I just put The Knitting Circle on hold at the library! Can't wait to get my hands on it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am reading the Friday night Knitting Club by Kate Jacobs.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers - thanks for leaving a comment!